Foreign languages sound fast when you are new student, and Japanese is no exception. The news is an excellent learning resource, but dang those newscasters talk fast! “News in Slow Japanese” is a blog, podcast, and YouTube series that aims to give you a “slow news” resource to aid your language learning.
Here, go ahead and sample their wares…
The caster uses vocab and sentence structures that you will commonly encounter when listening to Japanese news, and you even get a partial vocab list on the side. Good stuff.
When I was first learning Japanese back in 1993 I had very little exposure to slowed down language. I think my teacher did this on purpose. She had us watching Doraemon, Chibi Maruko-chan, and all the rest at normal speed even when we were in our first year of Japanese. I am sure she was careful to enunciate carefully to us all in class, but I do not recall her slowing anything down.
Similarly, in my 4th year of Japanese class in university I distinctly remember one assignment where we had to fill in the blanks of a rather long scene from Wings of Honnêamise. I wore that VHS tape out rewinding it so many times. Neighbors in the dorm also complained that I had the volume up way too high, as I didn’t have a rig to plug headphones into my TV… Those were the days… You all won’t have to suffer through that… Or if you do at least it will be on DVD, or digital.
I think mixing this slow news into your studies is a great idea, as long as you are also listening to a healthy dose of natural language.
Anyhow, once you are used to unnaturally slow Japanese you’ll be ready to tackle this unnaturally FAST Japanese. This is a comedy skit that is funny because everyone is speaking a million miles an hour.
Enjoy! Let me know how you get on!
Welcome to JapanNewbie.com! My goal is to get you excited about Japan and the Japanese language. Love it! This blog has been around for more than five years now, so be sure to dig into the archives and use the search. You never know what you might find!
- Hanshin Tigers! (20)
- Yeayeaohyea: Hey cool blog, any idea where I can get a tigers jersey?
- A Poem by Misuzu Kaneko (7)
- Timothy Takemoto: I wonder how “ii” became “wonderful.”
- News in Slow (as in speed) Japanese (2)
- msg: Even if I don’t understand the comedy skits, somehow they were funny. :)
- Rape of Nanking (24)
- Toshiaki Haginoya: “Rape of Nanking” is hoax. People who believe Nanking Massacre actually took place must visit this site.People who...
- Maborosi (8)
- Gaylan Mathiesen: I very much enjoyed Maborosi, but then I lived in Japan for 11 years. I also enjoy European movies, so a slower pace...