New words! More culture!
I recently learned the word “kasagumo.” I think I first heard it when I was visiting a Japanese art museum with a friend (@guideyu) and she was surprised I didn’t know the term. It bothers me when Japanese phrases come up in everyday conversation that I don’t recognize… so I looked it up! Here it is.
After hearing the description of a “kasagumo,” basically a cloud that covers or hovers over the top of a mountian, I thought that the characters would be 傘 (kasa, as in umbrella) 雲 (cloud). It seems that the official characters are 笠雲, but 傘雲 is so widely used you might as well count it.
In fact 笠 is simply another character which also means “umbrella,” so it seems they are interchangeable.
The technical name for this type of cloud is Lenticularis [Wikipedia].
There are actually different types of Kasagumo.
This informational Japanese website about Mout Fuji has a chart that shows the different types of Kasagumo and their names.
Image from http://fujisan.yamakei.co.jp
Has anyone out there ever seen a Kasagumo in the wild??? I haven’t!
Welcome to JapanNewbie.com! My goal is to get you excited about Japan and the Japanese language. Love it! This blog has been around for more than five years now, so be sure to dig into the archives and use the search. You never know what you might find!
- Which is harder, Japanese or Chinese? For me. (23)
- someguy: I’m coming in from the other side of the equation. I am quite proficient in French and curious about Japanese (or possibly...
- Review: Kanji Solitaire for iOS (1)
- purify_the_body: Thanks for this, newbie. I like this app.
- Tarako song explained (17)
- Gracie-chan: Really catchy tune! I thought kewbie dolls from the commericals were realky cute! They reminded me of russian nesting dolls.
- Giant Takoyaki (7)
- andreni burton: i loves takoyaki very delicious…. :9
- Japanese ebooks at Aozora Bunko (6)
- Mick: hi Harvey could you send to my email your detailed instruction manual preferably with the japanese text and then the translation into english...