I visited Hawaii for the first time this month and was blown away by the amount of Japanese around.
There were signs in Japanese, Japanese food, Japanese tourists, white people hawking goods to Japanese tourists in broken Japanese… the whole nine yards! There are countless Japanese restaurants and even an ultra-famous Japanese Shaved Ice Place (kakigouri かき氷) called Matsumoto’s. Some shops in Waikiki even accept payment in Japanese yen.
Here are some pics of some of the random Japanese I encountered. Click to ENLARGE!
If you really want to immerse yourself in Japanese and don’t have the willpower to do it where you are now… consider moving to Honolulu!
Welcome to JapanNewbie.com! My goal is to get you excited about Japan and the Japanese language. Love it! This blog has been around for more than five years now, so be sure to dig into the archives and use the search. You never know what you might find!
- Review: Kanji Solitaire for iOS (1)
- purify_the_body: Thanks for this, newbie. I like this app.
- Tarako song explained (17)
- Gracie-chan: Really catchy tune! I thought kewbie dolls from the commericals were realky cute! They reminded me of russian nesting dolls.
- Giant Takoyaki (7)
- andreni burton: i loves takoyaki very delicious…. :9
- Japanese ebooks at Aozora Bunko (6)
- Mick: hi Harvey could you send to my email your detailed instruction manual preferably with the japanese text and then the translation into english...
- Japanese Wedding Gifts (16)
- Rich Kooyer: Hi There! This article is very helpful. We had our civil ceremony last month and now will have a chapel ceremony in June. Is there one...