I have a friend who is about to head to Japan for the first time, and he wants the Maid Cafe experience. I have been to maid cafe’s before, but not anytime in the past 5+ years or so… so I’m way out of the loop.
This youtube introduction of Royal Milk is pretty good, and the host actually speaks Japanese which is a plus.
Have any of you been to maid cafes? Any recommendations?
Also while we’re on the subject, if you are going to go to Akihabara as a tourist I strongly recommend also visiting NAKANO BROADWAY Shopping Arcade. It’s like Akihabara but with more focus on the anime/maid/figure side of otaku culture rather than the electronics. I haven’t been there forever… and I can’t believe I didn’t blog about it when I did go… but it was great, and my tweeps assure me that it does indeed still exist. Danny Choo has a great piece on Nakano Broadway here you can check out.
Back to the subject of maid cafes, I went to e-maid cafe in Osaka back in 2006 with a quite otaku Japanese buddy and had a fun time. You can read that old school JapanNewbie e-maid cafe blog post here, and you can check out e-maid cafe official site here.
Let me know if you have any maid cafe recommendations!
Welcome to JapanNewbie.com! My goal is to get you excited about Japan and the Japanese language. Love it! This blog has been around for more than five years now, so be sure to dig into the archives and use the search. You never know what you might find!
- Maborosi (8)
- Gaylan Mathiesen: I very much enjoyed Maborosi, but then I lived in Japan for 11 years. I also enjoy European movies, so a slower pace...
- Which is harder, Japanese or Chinese? For me. (25)
- Crystal Lai: As a native Chinese speaker, I always find it humorous when I see english translations of Chinese names. Like the...
- Japanese Language School Recommendations (11)
- Josh: I went to KAI in 2012/13. The problem is that it has too many Western students at about 90% mark meaning that the use of other languages are...
- Chocolate Banana (16)
- Shilo Rives: fun phalluses!
- Life-sized Gundam Model in Tokyo (3)
- Vaughan MacDonald: Yeah that looks pretty cool. Oh hey, Big Zam!