Time to learn some 90s Japanese slang!!!
I can hardly even remember why I wanted to blog about this phrase…
Ah yes, I do remember now. So I’m slowly working my way through Devil Survivor, a sweet strategy RPG for DS, and there is one character that says this phrase over and over again.
The rough translation of this phrase is, “very good.”
Now, to be honest, this is not “cool” Japanese slang. In fact, it’s a little lame and outdated. Using it will be sure to score you a few laughs the first time around, and maybe even the second time too… But if you live in Kansai you might just earn yourself a slap upside the head for using this phrase. Consider yourself warned.
Let’s learn the phrase, and the background!
This phrase is a combination of two words. The first is ばっちり. The second word is “good,” which becomes グッド (guddo) in Katakana.
ばっちり is a legit Japanese word that means something is “perfect” or just “great.”
Here are some other words that may help you out when talking about バッチグー with your Japanese friends.
死語 (shigo) a dead word.
合成語 (gouseigo) a compound word.
ふるっ！ (huru!!!) a way to strongly emphasize that something is OLD and 古い (hurui).
もういいから！ (mou ii kara!) “OK OK, would you please quit saying that already!?”
I read on some Japanese blog that the character from this old cartoon called BONOBONO says バッチグー a lot…
Watch it for yourself though.
Welcome to JapanNewbie.com! My goal is to get you excited about Japan and the Japanese language. Love it! This blog has been around for more than five years now, so be sure to dig into the archives and use the search. You never know what you might find!
- Review: Kanji Solitaire for iOS (1)
- purify_the_body: Thanks for this, newbie. I like this app.
- Tarako song explained (17)
- Gracie-chan: Really catchy tune! I thought kewbie dolls from the commericals were realky cute! They reminded me of russian nesting dolls.
- Giant Takoyaki (7)
- andreni burton: i loves takoyaki very delicious…. :9
- Japanese ebooks at Aozora Bunko (6)
- Mick: hi Harvey could you send to my email your detailed instruction manual preferably with the japanese text and then the translation into english...
- Japanese Wedding Gifts (16)
- Rich Kooyer: Hi There! This article is very helpful. We had our civil ceremony last month and now will have a chapel ceremony in June. Is there one...