If you like Japanese ramen, then you’ll appreciate how difficult it is to find good Japanese ramen outside of Japan.
Well, now I’m in Shanghai, and there are 50,000 Japanese living here long term. There are more than 100,000 if you include those Japanese that are frequently in and out on short business trips.
So, there’s gotta be good ramen here right? Right? Well @mrsjapannewbie and I have been hunting, and we’re getting close.
The name of the place was 維心, and here is the address in Chinese.
The soup was very good. The gyoza was great. The other ingredients were excellent. The chashu meat was awesome, and the egg was great as well.
The only complaint I had about the dish was that the noodles were a bit thick for my liking. However, @mrsjapannewbie said that even though they were thick, they were still good.
The atmosphere was nice as well. Most of the other customers were Japanese, and they even have a rack of Japanese comic magazines that a few customers were reading as they enjoyed their ramen alone. We learned about this place from a Japanese friend, so we figured it would be pretty legit.
So far, I would say it’s the best Japanese ramen I have had outside of Japan. Please note though, I have never eaten Japanese ramen in New York. I hear they have some pretty nice joints.
Welcome to JapanNewbie.com! My goal is to get you excited about Japan and the Japanese language. Love it! This blog has been around for more than five years now, so be sure to dig into the archives and use the search. You never know what you might find!
- IUC in Yokohama as an Advanced Student (42)
- Paula: Harvey, would you mind telling me a bit about the content of Japanese Entrance Exam. I have studied Japanese for two years at the University...
- Japanese Content on Netflix (18)
- Olivia: are there any Japanese subtitles on netflix?!?
- How I use my Kindle (35)
- Jullie: Hello, if you need to convert pdf files to mobi or epub formats for your Kindle, I recommend to have a look at this free toolkit kitpdf.com...
- Five Ways to get or stay Stuck in an Expat Bubble (6)
- Eorthisio: Sticking with other expats is a major mistake to avoid at all costs, especially in Asian countries. From my personal experience people...
- Hanshin Tigers! (21)
- John Box: Hi Harvey. Sorry to post here but I can’t make it through the Captcha on your contact page. I’d like to offer you a copy of...