[UPDATE 03/17/2011] The above version has English Subs!
This is the vanilla original Japanese version!
This is an extremely well done animation that attempts to explain the crisis at the nuclear power plant in Fukushima in a light-hearted yet informational way.
The following is a my 5 minute summary of what is going on in the video. It’s not a direct translation, and I did it extremely quickly, but I think you’ll get the gist from these even if you don’t know Japanese. I’m sure someone will post a version with translated subtitles eventually!
[Begin Video Summary]
Genpatsu-kun is the name of the character representing the Fukushima the power plant.
He has a stomach ache that was caused by the big earthquake.
んんん〜〜〜 おなかいたいよう〜うんちが出ちゃいそう！ arrrgh my stomach hurts! poops is gonna come out!
His poop is very stinky and therefore dangerous. If it spills out moreru もれる then it will be big trouble. くさい kusai! Stinky!
However, どーん！ (doonnnn) we heard a huge sound from Genpatsu-kun and everyone was surprised! Did his poop come out?
After taking some measurements they realized it wasn’t poop, but just a fart. But his stomach still hurts.
In order to fix it they’re giving Genpatsu-kun medicine. Including seawater 海水 kaisui and ホウ素 houso boron.
They ran out of medicine and it as kind of a close call, but anyway they’re working hard to keep him from pooping all over the place.
The smell from a fart will only last about a week, and isn’t so stinky, so no problem for people who live far away.
That’s what happend with 3-mile Island too.
[YouTube Video Time 1:54]
He even pooped his pants in the classroom! And it was diarrhea! And he ran around all over the place just like that!!!
But Japan won’t be like Chernobyl.
Genpatsu-kun has a diaper. So even if the unchi comes out, it won’t travel far.
Big poop is heavy too so it won’t go too far.
In order to help out Genpatsu-kun the doctors are working hard. They are taking turns giving him medicine as to preserve their health. This method of giving him medicine isn’t efficient, but it’s vital to preserve the health of the doctors.
If in the news you hear, 注水が再開 (cyuusui ga saikai, water injection has started again), you know that they’re able to give Genpatsu-kun medicine again to cool him down.
If things get bad it won’t be as bad as Chernobyl, but people in Fukushima won’t be able to live around there… and plants and fish will die. It would be terrible for the people of Fukushima.
I order not to let that happen, everyone is working as hard as they can. These next two days (as of time this video was published) are key.
It’ll be alright. With time, Genpatsu-kun’s stomach will surely get better.
[End Video Summary]
Welcome to JapanNewbie.com! My goal is to get you excited about Japan and the Japanese language. Love it! This blog has been around for more than five years now, so be sure to dig into the archives and use the search. You never know what you might find!
- Rape of Nanking (25)
- Toshiaki Haginoya: “Rape of Nanking” is hoax. Do not be fooled by the Chinese Communist Propaganda machine. They are a bunch of liars....
- IUC in Yokohama as an Advanced Student (42)
- Paula: Harvey, would you mind telling me a bit about the content of Japanese Entrance Exam. I have studied Japanese for two years at the University...
- Japanese Content on Netflix (18)
- Olivia: are there any Japanese subtitles on netflix?!?
- How I use my Kindle (35)
- Jullie: Hello, if you need to convert pdf files to mobi or epub formats for your Kindle, I recommend to have a look at this free toolkit kitpdf.com...
- Five Ways to get or stay Stuck in an Expat Bubble (6)
- Eorthisio: Sticking with other expats is a major mistake to avoid at all costs, especially in Asian countries. From my personal experience people...