Continuing my Japanese movie binge I’m moving on to a classic Japanese Animated movie – Metropolis.
Metropolis was made in 2002, but is based on a 1949 manga by Tezuka Osamu of AstroBoy fame, and it really shows – in a good way. This is a great movie with slick animation and surprisingly awesome music. Let me describe the music by simply saying, it’s got Ray Charles. Okay I’ll say more. The music is all classy New Orleans style Jazz, which really has an out of place, yet extremely refreshing feel when set against the film’s futuristic backdrop.
The plot for this Anime really reminded me of one of the stories in Animatrix if I’m remembering correctly… Anyway, without giving too much away, Metropolis is set in a future where humans and robots work side by side… but tensions rise and there is an underground movement of humans bent on destroying the robots who have been taking jobs away from the humans. Sound familiar? Well, Tezuka Osamu put this story together in 1949, so he probably got there first.
Anyway, if you haven’t seen this already it’s definitely worth a look.
Welcome to JapanNewbie.com! My goal is to get you excited about Japan and the Japanese language. Love it! This blog has been around for more than five years now, so be sure to dig into the archives and use the search. You never know what you might find!
- Rape of Nanking (25)
- Toshiaki Haginoya: “Rape of Nanking” is hoax. Do not be fooled by the Chinese Communist Propaganda machine. They are a bunch of liars....
- IUC in Yokohama as an Advanced Student (42)
- Paula: Harvey, would you mind telling me a bit about the content of Japanese Entrance Exam. I have studied Japanese for two years at the University...
- Japanese Content on Netflix (18)
- Olivia: are there any Japanese subtitles on netflix?!?
- How I use my Kindle (35)
- Jullie: Hello, if you need to convert pdf files to mobi or epub formats for your Kindle, I recommend to have a look at this free toolkit kitpdf.com...
- Five Ways to get or stay Stuck in an Expat Bubble (6)
- Eorthisio: Sticking with other expats is a major mistake to avoid at all costs, especially in Asian countries. From my personal experience people...