Went to Tsukishima in Tokyo with some of my wife’s friends to eat Monjyayaki.
Japan is fun like that. There are certain areas in Tokyo that you can go to see tons of shops serving the exact same dish, though done in their own special way. I’ve seen places like this for gyoza, okonomiyaki, ramen, oden, chicken wings, and many other things.
Monjyayaki is kind of like a sloppy-half-done-lazy-messed-up okonomiyaki. Most people from Kansai will say that monjyayaki is interesting, but okonomiyaki tastes much better. I’ve never eaten monjyayaki in Osaka, but I’m sure there is a store somewhere offering it. Monjya tastes best when burnt. It’s also best to chose monjya with mochi in it.
The place we went to was called Hazama. Our friends made reservations in advance, so I guess it’s considered to be one of the better monjya places in Tsukishima – I wouldn’t know. I’m an okonomiyaki man myself.
Basically to make monjya you mix up the ingredients, spill just the ingredients and not the soup onto the hot plate, mix it all up and stuff, make it into a circle, ad then pour the soup inside. The goal is to cook the soupy stuff until its a bit viscous. Then, mix it all together and chop it up.
Here’s a video I took that night so you can see how it’s done.
More of our videos on Monjya and other romps around Asia can be found on our YouTube channel here!
Here’s a picture of the environment inside the restaurant.
Welcome to JapanNewbie.com! My goal is to get you excited about Japan and the Japanese language. Love it! This blog has been around for more than five years now, so be sure to dig into the archives and use the search. You never know what you might find!
- IUC in Yokohama as an Advanced Student (42)
- Paula: Harvey, would you mind telling me a bit about the content of Japanese Entrance Exam. I have studied Japanese for two years at the University...
- Japanese Content on Netflix (18)
- Olivia: are there any Japanese subtitles on netflix?!?
- How I use my Kindle (35)
- Jullie: Hello, if you need to convert pdf files to mobi or epub formats for your Kindle, I recommend to have a look at this free toolkit kitpdf.com...
- Five Ways to get or stay Stuck in an Expat Bubble (6)
- Eorthisio: Sticking with other expats is a major mistake to avoid at all costs, especially in Asian countries. From my personal experience people...
- Hanshin Tigers! (21)
- John Box: Hi Harvey. Sorry to post here but I can’t make it through the Captcha on your contact page. I’d like to offer you a copy of...