I just started using KeyHole TV for Mac. With KeyHole TV you can watch Japanese TV right on your computer, all you need is an Internet connection.
Watching TV is a great way to improve listening comprehension skills. It’s also a great introduction to modern Japanese culture. With TV even if you don’t know exactly what is being said you can figure out a lot out from the context. Trust me, foreign language TV is good for you!
Xorsyst has posted detailed instructions on how to install KeyHole TV for Windows. Check it out. If you’ve got a mac, just follow the mac download link and you’ll know what to do. It’s straightforward.
The interface isn’t the best – in fact it’s ugly and confusing… Basically you just double click on the program you want to watch and before long the audio and video will start playing.
You can click the Program Button to switch back and select something else to watch.
Kids these days… They don’t know how good they’ve got it. Back in my day I had to go down to the neighborhood Korean food mart and rent the bootleg video cassettes they had of Japanese TV to get my fix. Video cassettes! I bet some Japannewbie readers have never even used a VHS tape… I digress.
If you’re studying Japanese you have no excuse not to use this excellent resource. Go work that listening comprehension!
Download KeyHole TV for Mac: http://www.v2p.jp/video/Viewer/MacOSX/
Note, @lordsilent on Twitter pointed out that TvAnts has better sound quality than KeyHoleTV. I haven’t tried it yet as I only have a Mac and the Mac Setup for TvAnts is not something I want to get into.
Look at all the options you have! Does anyone else have any other sources of Japanese TV? Please share in the comments!
P.S. Want more variety of shows? Watch TV shows online with Clicker.com’s selection of the latest exciting TV shows.
Welcome to JapanNewbie.com! My goal is to get you excited about Japan and the Japanese language. Love it! This blog has been around for more than five years now, so be sure to dig into the archives and use the search. You never know what you might find!
- Hanshin Tigers! (20)
- Yeayeaohyea: Hey cool blog, any idea where I can get a tigers jersey?
- A Poem by Misuzu Kaneko (7)
- Timothy Takemoto: I wonder how “ii” became “wonderful.”
- News in Slow (as in speed) Japanese (2)
- msg: Even if I don’t understand the comedy skits, somehow they were funny. :)
- Rape of Nanking (24)
- Toshiaki Haginoya: “Rape of Nanking” is hoax. People who believe Nanking Massacre actually took place must visit this site.People who...
- Maborosi (8)
- Gaylan Mathiesen: I very much enjoyed Maborosi, but then I lived in Japan for 11 years. I also enjoy European movies, so a slower pace...