I just started using KeyHole TV for Mac. With KeyHole TV you can watch Japanese TV right on your computer, all you need is an Internet connection.
Watching TV is a great way to improve listening comprehension skills. It’s also a great introduction to modern Japanese culture. With TV even if you don’t know exactly what is being said you can figure out a lot out from the context. Trust me, foreign language TV is good for you!
Xorsyst has posted detailed instructions on how to install KeyHole TV for Windows. Check it out. If you’ve got a mac, just follow the mac download link and you’ll know what to do. It’s straightforward.
The interface isn’t the best – in fact it’s ugly and confusing… Basically you just double click on the program you want to watch and before long the audio and video will start playing.
You can click the Program Button to switch back and select something else to watch.
Kids these days… They don’t know how good they’ve got it. Back in my day I had to go down to the neighborhood Korean food mart and rent the bootleg video cassettes they had of Japanese TV to get my fix. Video cassettes! I bet some Japannewbie readers have never even used a VHS tape… I digress.
If you’re studying Japanese you have no excuse not to use this excellent resource. Go work that listening comprehension!
Download KeyHole TV for Mac: http://www.v2p.jp/video/Viewer/MacOSX/
Note, @lordsilent on Twitter pointed out that TvAnts has better sound quality than KeyHoleTV. I haven’t tried it yet as I only have a Mac and the Mac Setup for TvAnts is not something I want to get into.
Look at all the options you have! Does anyone else have any other sources of Japanese TV? Please share in the comments!
P.S. Want more variety of shows? Watch TV shows online with Clicker.com’s selection of the latest exciting TV shows.
Welcome to JapanNewbie.com! My goal is to get you excited about Japan and the Japanese language. Love it! This blog has been around for more than five years now, so be sure to dig into the archives and use the search. You never know what you might find!
- IUC in Yokohama as an Advanced Student (42)
- Paula: Harvey, would you mind telling me a bit about the content of Japanese Entrance Exam. I have studied Japanese for two years at the University...
- Japanese Content on Netflix (18)
- Olivia: are there any Japanese subtitles on netflix?!?
- How I use my Kindle (35)
- Jullie: Hello, if you need to convert pdf files to mobi or epub formats for your Kindle, I recommend to have a look at this free toolkit kitpdf.com...
- Five Ways to get or stay Stuck in an Expat Bubble (6)
- Eorthisio: Sticking with other expats is a major mistake to avoid at all costs, especially in Asian countries. From my personal experience people...
- Hanshin Tigers! (21)
- John Box: Hi Harvey. Sorry to post here but I can’t make it through the Captcha on your contact page. I’d like to offer you a copy of...